Monday, October 17, 2011

We're going on a picture hunt!




Last week, I ventured on a Picture Scavenger Hunt with 2 of my classmates. Our goal was to find pictures that represented "opposites." On our journey around campus, we found many opposite objects and had a lot of fun! We had to be creative, but with 3 UDL minds (we are all special education majors), we got the job done in no time. We utilized Hannah's iPhone to take pictures. I was hesitant about the quality of these pictures at first, but it ended up working really well. In fact, I think having an iPhone worked better for this project because we did not have to worry about resizing the pictures once they were downloaded on to our desktop.

I think this type of Scavenger Hunt activity would be so fun to do with students! You could divide students up in groups, have them collect pictures using an array of topics, and then have them incorporate their pictures into a PowerPoint presentation. More advanced students could supplement their pictures with information that they had researched. Specifically, this activity could be very useful for an elementary or middle school science classroom when students are studying leaves, trees, flowers, or other aspects of nature that could be easily captured with a camera.

Next time I do this activity, I would love to have my own iPhone to be able to take such great pictures :) I was worried about the resolution of the pictures, but I was surprised at the quality of them in the presentation. If possible, I would make sure that each group member had a camera so that they could capture their own pictures as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment